RCU Forums - View Single Post - Phoenix Strega motor for 120 class racing.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 AM
T34RACING
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Strega motor for 120 class racing.

Hi Guys,

I think there is some "Lack of information" going on here.

There are 4 classes of racing. Due to the fact our club is more 2-stroke oriented, the rules that Sacramento use and RCPro have a huge disavantage against 4-strokes. It has always been this way. There is no 60 size engine that will compete with a Y.S. 1.10 or 1.20. We have raced these rules for years and have been very succesful. Up until this year, we changed the stock class to 75 Warbird and added the new 120 Warbird.

We have a 46 Warbird class for smaller warbirds ( 475sq in ) with up to a .46 engine.

We have a 75 Warbird which is any warbird from VQ Models or World Models with a .75 engine. You can use Tower, O.S. or Supertiger ( The stock class )

We have a 120 Warbird ( New class this year ) with minimum 550sq in wing area and .91 to a 1.20 engine. 2-strokes have to be front intake side exhaust. It was added somewhere mid last year not to allow Heli or ducted fan engines. These engines are used in Unlimited. Some people are freaking out that 120 Warbird even has 4-strokes in it. They are afraid of having to spend $400 and use 60% nitro to be competitive....well that is racing. Up until last month the 4-stroke wasnt allowed, but was changed because we are trying to attract Sac and LA guys.

For the big boys, we have Unlimited Warbird which is 520 sq in and a max of 1.6 engine...anything goes basically. If you want to run 4-stroke, helicopter engines, ducted fan engines or custom built engines, have a blasts. Guys who have raced this class have used heli engines and ducted fan engines and now there is only 3 of us in it. These two types of engines killed the class. People are afraid of the high RPM engines. Also it is a saftey issue as guys were not paying attention to props and throwing blades on the ground or in the air. I have so much money invested in this class, that this year unless we get some new blood, there is only going to be Mark Sumich and I racing Unlimtied. So if someone wants to use the .91 heli engine, they can race Unlimited. The airframes are basically the same in both Unlimited and 120 Warbird, but 120 Warbird has 30 sq inches more. The Strega is legal in both classes. The wing area increase basically was made to not allow my planes in 120 Warbird because they have been very dominant over the years( Except 2008 because I wasnt prepared ) and also attract the guys racing currently with 550 sq inches to use the .91 to 1.20 engines.

Rules are up I heard on www.t34racing.com