RCU Forums - View Single Post - .65 "sport speed" - the doodling has begun.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:39 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The doodling has begun.

MJD:

Yea, I do love the way your mind works. For what its worth, you can widen the basic Q-500 moments, extend the tank and engine compartment to accommodate a 10 oz tank and Jett 60LX cowelled in, extend the tail the same total, design high wing, motor side mount and have one heck of a great flyer. My most recent experiment was basic Q-500 with streemlined nose to fit Jett 60 LX, crop wing to 40". Was fastest thing I have ever seen or flown, crashed as I flat lost it in a high speed pass along with 10-12 observers. Next one off was about the same length moments, widned tor a 10 oz tank and Q-500 composit full 52" wing. Result is a sport like flying bird that still will outrun the gangs racing Q-500s and have good long flight times. You end up doing most of your flying at less than 1/2 throttle, in the idle circut of the Jett, but still around 16,000 with around 8.75 X 7.5 apc prop. Like it so much I am in the process of downscaleing the design for the Jett 35. Have ordered some mini-air retracts, not here yet. I want this puppy to also carry retracts just for grins. If I cant get um in with the high wing, will be back to low or sholder wing, cut to 36". Last one that is still alive after 5 years was 40" and even at the excess weight of 5.5 lbs accummulated from years of repairs, the thing still landed easy and slow. Got retired as the overall weight slowed her down in the corners and the guys were catching me in a 10 lap race. In the 08 season, no one ever came out with anything to challange the Jett 60LX thingy, so the effort was counter-productive and club interest suffered. One of the upstart kids has publicly challenged the 60LX with a Magnum setup, nice kid who will not back off. Gotta respect that even though we have had 3 mid-airs with the T-34's in recent races. Every year he learns a little more and gets a little better as I get a year older. It will happen, I will applaud him, but like most of us personality flawed racers, rage all the way home and for several days, maby weeks. Naturally, then we seek revenge. Gonna have to pry that transmitter out of my cold dead hands. ENJOY