RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito 62a vs OS FL 70
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 AM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saito 62a vs OS FL 70

G'day all. I started flying control line way back when and one of the planes that I had most success with was George Aldrich's Peacemaker. The Peacemaker is very similar to the Flight Streak which I believe is also one of George's along with the Nobler. My Peacemakers were all flown with OS 15s and OS 19s as they are smaller than the Flight Streak.

I found control line flying to be far more adrenalin producing than RC as with RC you can always get a few mistakes high to try things out. With control line, you are rarely more than one mistake or 60 feet (or less) from the ground. It took me ages to learn to fly inverted with control line. I eventually built a really tough combat model powered with a Taipan 15 Diesel which I could fly into the ground - dig out and fly again. The best advice I was ever given was "hang on the down line".

As to the FL70 and The FA62 - I still have a 62 and I love it. I had an FL70 in a large trainer and it was fine but not as powerful as the Surpass 70 I also had at the time. Not as heavy either though. I am happier having a ring in a engine that spends a lot of its time in the midrange.

The picture is of a member of our RC club who is now in his 70s. It was taken when he was in his late 20s and he still has the Nobler in the picture. I was a kid in the control line club at the time and I remember the beautiful model and other similar models by other members. The green is silk and the rest of the model is hand painted in white. A brilliant job. And he still has it though it has been recovered a few times but never crashed. Still has its original Fox 35.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43903.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	754.1 KB
ID:	1113337