RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2009 Basic Narrative
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: 2009 Basic Narrative

ORIGINAL: brknprops

Z - I am not sure I understand your concern.
The problem is that these discussions go way overboard toward those individuals who start out wanting to compete.

In my experience and this includes me, I had no intention of going to any contests but wanted to get into the aerobatics as a means to improve my flying skills. There are a number of guys at our club who have started playing around with the basic sequence and telling them up front they've got to learn Aresti first is just a deal killer.

I venture to say that almost all of those who would use a narrative will never go any further than a Basic sequence and not many of them will ever go to a contest. But if we don't try to introduce new folks to this area of the hobby, where will they come from?

While my experience so far has been a mostly good one with meeting some really friendly and helpful people, IMAC also has it's elitists and those who treat a question from a newcomer as not worth answering. In a thread like this, the opinions expressed by some if read by a newbie would just say "you either learn Aresti or don't bother" and that's not what's needed. Those who find the experience fun and or challenging, will go on and find out that they need to learn Aresti and pay attention to the rules and judging criteria. As I said, the disscussion itself has merit and things that need to be clarified are being covered in a manor more suitable to a thread on judging which wouldn't interest most newbies when they're first starting out. In my case, of the six or so individuals who I've introduced to the concept of scale aerobatics, there's only one who MIGHT be interested in this discussion. None of them (I suspect) would do anything with it this year if they had to learn Aresti in order to go out to the field and fly the sequence since there wasn't a narrative available.

Now the guys I fly with who do compete would have their own ideas/opinions about the discussion and might add to it if they saw it, but they most likely won't look due to the thread title. Those who would look due to the thread title are overwhelmed at the complexity of the discussion and the attitudes of some responders.

IMHO, the narrative in the first post ought to be left as a sticky and all this other stuff relegated to a judging thread....