View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 AM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

f4you,
I have been thinking about your MOD, which turbine are you using? how many pounds of thrust? One thing I found interesting when I was watching Jimmy fly the full scale was he didn't fly straight and level with the turbine at full power very long as the plane built up speed quick and it flew with a tail high trim under turbine power. The exhaust nozzle was pointed down at approx 20deg angle to keep the hot gas off the fuse and tail, he lifted the tail onto saw horses while starting the turbine to keep from catching the tail on fire and had 2 guys standing by just in case with fire extinguishers. You had to be impressed seeing that plane do a 3,000 ft vertical climb on the turbine[8D]
Later!!
Anthony
Anthony, thanks for your thoughts. Your points are right-on, we've been at work on this critter both physically and mentally on your points also, plus a few others, like the heat shield just aft of the turbine pipe exhaust opening, and a few other crazy things (some very special wing spars, etc). I'm with you on the tail high trim. A video of him performing at Reno really showed the tail high thing, especially when he put some power into the turbine in straight and level (and fairly brief) flight.
We have a 30 pound thrust turbine, which should give some pretty nice vertical stuff together with a DA 170 in the nose.
It was literally breathtaking watching Jimmy point the nose up on that beast and just go straight up in a hurrywe hope to capture that personality with the model.
BTW, the pilot for this creation will be my son, Terry Hahn, he's a competitor at Futaba's XFC in Muncie. We've both been thinking about this project for quite a while, hopefully it'll go as we hope....
Joe