RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carden 37.5% Yak Build
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 09:39 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carden 37.5% Yak Build

I'm starting this thread for anybody intrested in the Carden Yak 54 37.5%. I have one being built this winter by Eric Watz of Saginaw Michigan. The kit has many mod's and changes to the basic kit. I will list the mod's and then give a listing of the parts used to put this thing togather. Starting out with the kit we traced out and then cut the engine box with lighting cut out as this is nothing new it really helps cut down on weight. The normal cross trussing used in the forward fuse area has been replaced with a top plate that ties the engine box top into the upper deck. The plate is lamiated with Carbon fiber mat that is set wet with West Epoxy and vacuum bagged for good bond depth. Formers from the firewall back are all lightend and then a hand layed fiberglass pipe tunnel was built and fitted into the fuse and tied into the lower firewall. The tunnel is setup for the new MTW RE3 pipes that will be bolted to a new DA 170. The landing gear plate and blocks have been lightened and beefed up at the same time. On the wings We ran a double spar through the wings by routering out the foam top and bottom. On the attach fitting blocks this has been totaly redone by building a block that is notched and has stringers that run back into the foam. By doing this it makes the plane vary strong. I know your thinking weight but when its all done it should be around 37 to 38 pounds and thats with tuned pipes. I will be using the new JR 8711 HV servos all around. This is it for now but pics will follow in Feb.