RCU Forums - View Single Post - spectrum regulator in DX7
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: spectrum regulator in DX7

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

you have a great point! this past year I started upgrading my rx batteries to 6 volts.that gives me some insurance if the battery does get lower.I cant imagine ever flying on a low voltage .I am usingmor digitals too and I know they consume more power but they also hold better and center better..thanks for coreccting me I wasnt sure .as for sprectrum I know its way better than 72 though I still have it on my futaba 9C and why not I live in a fairly rural area and its a small club and the number of 2.4's is smallbut I have no competition my frequency either.
Jim is correct on the low voltage reboot happening at 3.5 volts.

One thing you may want to consider when you start running digital servos and especially bigger ones that can pull a lot of power. Just getting a battery with a high mah rating doesn't necessarily mean it'll cut the mustard. The issue is that a lot of the battery cells, especially the AA size, used to make up packs for RC use have a high impedence or internal resistance. This is because they were originally designed to operate electronic devices which don't require a lot of current (amps).

Now these cells work fine for tx's as those don't have much current draw but the higher capacity cells do have some issues one needs to be aware of regarding charging rates and self discharge rates. High impedence cells on a flight pack with a bunch of digital servos is a bad idea. If the servos pull more current than the pack can provide, the voltage temporarily drops like a rock and can cause an rx re-boot on a Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz rx.

So when you buy new rx packs, pay attention to the cell impedence numbers or at least the continous and burst amperage discharge rates. Make sure those numbers match the anticipated max load your system could pull.