RCU Forums - View Single Post - All Composite 1/7th P-40E Mould Build
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Slow Low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: All Composite 1/7th P-40E Mould Build

Oh boy, over the years I've flown more models than I know I can remember. I started with built up freeflights with 1/2A's, then moved to control line everything from 1/2A's to 0.10, 0.15, 0.19, 0.29, 0.35, 0.36 Fox, McCoy, Enya, K&B, stunt, combat etc etc

When I could finally afford a radio in the late 80's I got into R/C, converted most of my old control line engines after hours in the highschool shop and put them into a lot of my own designs because it was always cheaper to throw something together on my own than to buy a kit. Oh boy, when I got my first 60 I thought I was something then! I never really got into turbines or ducted fans because it's just too much dang stress for me these days lol. I do have an old dynajet pulsejet on little lead bellied control line racer somewhere, but I haven't flown it since I could drive a car or drink lol.

I was not a middle class kid, but for some reason my father had every model and full scale airplane magazine there was from the 40's all the way up. He kept them all sorted in boxes and hidden away (I think it was the only thing that he really had that he could call his own.) but by the time I was 7 or 8 I'd studied every one of them 100 times and had enlarged every plan I thought worthy by hand too! The result of all of that, is that I'm a WWII warbird nut! I've built and flown just about everything outside of jets over the years, but a WWII warbird is something deeply special for me - it's just part of who I am. Sounds corny, but I remember being 10 or 11 years old lying in bed studying the lines of almost everything from Corsairs to P-40s to Harvards to Lightnings...all of them until I could draw them by hand. Then I'd compare them to the photos to see how scale they were, and I'd do it all over again until I got each of them to a point where I could draw in the original formers ribs and stringers. While other kids were daydreaming about whatever it was they daydreamed about, I was quite honestly dreaming of the day that I could afford to pull together one of the moulds that I'd built 100 times over and over and over in my head. I remember being in middle school figuring out how I could make a bladder to expand inside of my mould in order to join halves when I couldn't even afford to eat lunch or take the bus home. LMAO NO ONE made model airplanes out of composites in those days.

Well, I'm sure you got more than you bargained for there eh?! Long story short - WWII warbirds only please these days, usually 60 size sometimes 90 - one day 50cc gasser before I die please.