RCU Forums - View Single Post - "newbie" prop question
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Sandore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "newbie" prop question

Everyone, thanks a lot for all of the various info & advice. I'm going to stay on the OK Cub path for the time being for several reasons:
1. The cub is new and it runs, as compared to my 20+ year old BW.
2. The cub uses a regular glow plug, so I can clip a regular glow plug driver onto it. I fried the original glow head on my BW, so (don't laugh) I drilled it & tapped it to accept a regular glow plug. I have no idea if the combustion chamber is now too big or too small (I machined it so the piston just doesn't hit the idle bar on the glow plug if 1 copper head gasket is installed). When I get the time to mess with the BW some more, I will try to find a replacement original type glow head for it before I experiment any more with my frankenstein head. Or maybe I'll buy a commercially available glow plug conversion head. I don't have an old style glow head clip any more.
3. The cub is made pretty close to where I live, so I get some satisfaction from lending a little support to a local business.

I was hoping that someone has some experience with various prop combos with the modern cub 049, so I will try to look up Doug Galbreath to see if he can shed any light. I suppose I should buy a tach so when I do get to experimenting I can at least measure the results.

I did try 20% (recommended by OK Engines) and 30% both with some castor added. I think I could hear a difference with the 30%, and I think I was using the 30% when the wind picked up to help me gain altitude.

A couple of guys I work with suggested the tank O ring on the BW. I tried shaving off a very thin piece of fuel tubing to replace the O ring, but that didn't work. Case gasket appears to be ok. I did find a link to some detailed instructions on how to rework a Cox engine to seal it up good, so at some point I plan to follow those instructions.

As for the lack of hp on the cub 049, do you think that the cub 06 would make up the difference and provide power of a good cox 049? Referring back to the reasons above, a call to OK Engines and $40 (plus either shipping or drive to them to get it) and I have a brand new engine with a regular glow plug on it.

Proptop, I fly at Lee Town Park and and behind the cemetery just North of there. I work out at Griffiss and a few of us at work flew there (at our Co. parking lot/yard, and also inside with small electrics) but recently were asked to stop flying at work. I have been learning with an electric foamie that I beat the heck out of, and after I got so I could fly my electric without getting into trouble I dug out that PoC that I built forever ago but didn't fly because I was afraid to bust it up. Where do you fly? I intend to round up a 4 channel trainer and join one of the local clubs to learn how to fly with ailerons. I'll probably have to unlearn some bad habits I've taught myself too...

Thanks again all.