RCU Forums - View Single Post - "newbie" prop question
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Sandore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "newbie" prop question

OK, OK, I give!

I was resistant at first, had my mind made up that I was going to try to make the cub 049 work with the PoC. I mean, it was able to pull the plane around in circles a few feet off the deck with no wind, so my thought was that if the cub had either the torque to spin more pitch or diameter, or would liven up with a few more rpm with smaller diameter or pitch, that maybe that would put it over the top to quote combatpigg. I also am not opposed to replacing the 10-12 year old full size receiver and servos with modern small stuff to lighten it up. I must have built the tail too heavy, as I had to add ballast to the firewall to get her to balance. The one flight where I did gain altitude (maybe 200'?) she seemed to float around pretty decent, I probably had a 10 minute flight which was a thrill after 3-4 of those low altitude, try not to destroy the plane flights I had just gone through.

However as I have been reading all of these responses the recurring theme is obvious, and I have decided that I need to let the dead horse RIP and focus on the BW again for the PoC, and as a few of you have suggested, find a smaller plane project to use the cub with. I am in the mood for another kit project anyway.

As for the BW, it's been about a year since I last messed with it, but it did not leak from the tank. It would run through the prime and quit most of the time, like it was starving for fuel. I got it so it would run with the needle valve almost fully open, maybe only engaged about 1/2 of a thread. If I remember right it would run like that, sloppy rich, for a whole tank full, but if I tried to close the needle a 1/4 turn at a time it would sometimes lean out a little but it would usually die, and it wouldn't restart at the same needle setting where it died. It was fresh O'Donnell (?) 30% fuel with some castor added, and a 6x3 prop. About my "don't laugh" comment regarding my homemade glow plug head, I don't know about the general sentiment, but I can imagine that as a non-engine expert, and a non-machinist, my attempt is not likely to work all that well. I had fun making it though, and if it ever runs with my head I will be tickled. I think one of those Galbreath heads may be in my future. I've done the fuel tubing slices thing, but I will keep trying.