RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maybe I'll call it "Warp 7"..
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maybe I'll call it "Warp 7"..

This evening, I decided I'd start some airframe work on the Whiplash. So far, all I had ever done is decorate parts of it & epoxy the vertical stab set on.

First things first, I didn't like the squareish LE shape which was more pronounced on the right side, so decided to dress those up a llittle. that went alright, now I'll reglass them and feather that in to reinforce it where I cut a bit deep to even things up. I was told it really didn't make much difference, and I will believe that. But, I wanted to shape them a bit anyways.

In the past, I had flexed the elevons to free them up, nearly sprainig my wrists in the process. Now they move, but those poor servos. So this evening I turned it around to stare at the tail end and I just about flipped. The right elevon has a huge twist in it, and the left a smaller one. In the pictures I have taped the outboard end of the elevons to match the fixed portion of the wing - and you can see the twist in the right side easily. Yuck! No way I am flying with those on there. Guess I'll redo the hinges at the same time.

The vertical stabs are very badly warped too. Each is cup shaped, and the pictures show a straight edge being held flat against the rear portion of the stab in various locations - check out the gap at the LE. Ouch - those are coming off.

So maybe I'll fabricate tip fins and glass them in, and make some new ailerons. No way am I carrying on with it in this state. Or move on to something else, maybe the sport speedster I was working on before. I gotta think about this one. Sure am thinking I got a POS on my hands though. [:@]

Time for bed. Maybe the warp fairies will find it tonight and make it straight.

MJD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27824.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1121557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80772.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1121558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78745.jpg
Views:	6