RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jolly Jay fishing boat
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 01:33 PM
toesupwa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jolly Jay fishing boat

ORIGINAL: dlemo2000

I continued my research this morning and reached a conclusion that you all had already reached. Any fair size fish is gonna kick my boats butt.

Is this a case of "I told you so"?...

If you can be stone blind certain, without a shadow of a doubt that there is nothing bigger in your pool of 1lb, then go for it...

If you cant be sure of the above then...

1/ Go for a boat hull of at least 40"... with LOTS of self boyancy.
2/ The electronics (Motor / prop / ESC / Battery) combination needs to have a sustained bollard pull of at least equal to (and more) the weight of the fish.
3/ The above needs to be able to 'pull' for long periods without overheating or blowing a fuse.
4/ Your boat needs to be very 'directional' and responds to the rudder with authority. Keeping the fish over the stern is important!.. if it gets to the side of your boat it WILL roll the boat over.
5/ Seal the boat like the water bottle you mentioned in a previous post. If it gets rolled over or worse, sunk (Dragged under by the fish), then it will pop up to the surface again.
6/ Find some way of a quick release... a 'panic' button!.
7/ Remember a fish of only 5lb can have a sustained pull enough to break 10lb line.

Oh yeah... and still be prepared to lose all your hard work...

Taking all the above in to consideration, i still dont think there is a model boat capable of safely 'going fishing' with..