RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito 115 cam lubrication
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Bone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saito 115 cam lubrication

ORIGINAL: XJet

I keep telling people that you should pre-lube the cambox area of those Saitos with a backplate-mounted crankcase breather nipple.

There's simply nothing to push the oil past the rear bearing and into the cambox area beacuse all the excess oil just vents out the back of the engine.

I've outlined the process I use at the start of each flying season before and I've never had an issue but I've heard of quite a few other folks who've ended up with dry camshaft bushes because they perform no manual lubrication or think that oil dripped down the pushrod tubes will make its way into the cambox (which it wont).
I can report that the cam box on my Saito 45 with rear mounted breather also runs very dry. In fact the last time I pulled the cam box off, I was alarmed by how dry it actually was. Even the conrod big end was dry []

As for fuel, I'm using home brew of 5% castor, 15% red Klotz, 10% nitro & the balance methanol. As you can see, there is ample oil in the fuel. I think I need to switch back to my other cam box cover with the breather mounted on the cover itself, the vent on the backplate being plugged.

I also like X-Jet's idea about pre-lubing the engine as earlier described in these posts [8D]