RCU Forums - View Single Post - worst engine ever
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: worst engine ever

ORIGINAL: Luna_Rendezvous

David, it spins the APC 11x6 @ 11,100 Max on said fuel, difference in Hp depends on which static thrust calculator is used, I like this one, air density was 1.1604 kg/m3

If it managed between 1.1 and 1.2 then I would have been content, but 0.8~ that's well and truly in the realm of an average 35

Mike.

Comparing dynamometer derived horsepower figures versus a chart that is derived from certain props at certain rpm points is a waste of time. Who knows what the equivalent load was with the dynomometer when the peak horsepower was derived during the engine testing?

This doesn't mean that the dynomometer figures are faulty or optimistic, it is just a different, but engineering accepted, means of establishing performance benchmarks.

I've bought several brand new Enya engines direct from Japan over the last several years. I can "see" no variance is today's quality versus that of the quality I received years ago. This is not to say that something could not have gone awry at the Enya factory. Everyone produces a turkey now and then, but at Enya, it has been rare. All I can go by is my experience.

Let us not forget that the SS series of Enya engines are not expected to be as hot as the Chrome series that is designated by an "X" or a "CX". The latter are Enya's high performance sport engines. Mine have never failed to deliver in the power department as well as in tractability.

RPM figures alone do not determine an engine's performance ability. I've had engines with carburetors that were so large that they would barely draw fuel in an average installation without the aid of a pump/pressure regulator/or combination pump/regulator (Perry). One of the reasons that YS two-strokes performed so well and earned such a stellar reputation was because of the pressurized fuel system with regulator. If you point the nose of the aircraft and the engine leans out too much, it is of no practical use in flying aerobatic routines.

My Enya .45CX may have been down a couple of hundred rpm versus other high performance sport engines, but when you pointed the nose straight up, the model just kept climbing and screaming its brains out. I gladly sacrificed the level flight rpm to have the ability to climb straight up without overheating and sagging (AAC piston/liner characteristic).

Yes, I do jump to the defense of Enya engines. Probably a bad habit as they really do not need defending. As said previously, I'm speaking for the "X" and "CX" series. While I own an SS ringed .50, I've never ran/flown it.

Ed Cregger