RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Eagle 580 (Matt Champan cap 232) 50"
Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Eagle 580 (Matt Champan cap 232) 50"

The Cap is mostly together. It was ridiculously easy to assemble. The only difficult part is the pull-pull set up. Getting the threads through the guide tubes took some doing, but not bad. I still need to hook up the connectors (had a little trouble getting the thread through the tiny holes, but will get it done when I get back to it later in the week...dang work getting in the way!).

I like the way the magnetic canopy attaches. It has two dowels that get inserted into the front former, then two hooked tabs in the bottom rear that fit through slots in the framing. The whole thing then slides back to engage the magnets. Seems like a simple way to use a magnetic hatch that shouldn't blow off...at least not easily.

The Rimfire motor dropped right in (but see negative #1). I also wanted to try the new e-flight switching ESC, so I picked up one of those. Normally I use Castle controllers because I like being able to program them using my computer instead of counting beeps, but by the time I add a Ubec to one it would be nearly the twice the price of the e-flight...so I thought I would give them a try.

So far I have only two negatives on the kit:

1. They designed the servo mounts to only fit the very narrow recommended Futaba servos. Even using the Hitec 85s required cutting (and to think I was going to use some 225s I already had available). The attempts by companies to ensure you use only their house brand accessories really annoys me.

2. As with most electric models, in the attempt to save weight, the motor mount seems weak. I don't think it will take much of a ground strike to cause damage...do they even sell the motor box as a separate item???? I appreciate the attempts at saving weight, but the motor mount is the wrong place to do it. I will likely add some sheeting, but I haven't decided yet.