RCU Forums - View Single Post - Old "SIG" J3-Cub 105" WS ??????????
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2003, 04:29 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Old "SIG" J3-Cub 105" WS ??????????

This is a general advice column for anyone who has bought a kit and decided it's too much:
--------------------------------------
NO! I do NOT say sell the kit.

Build a simpler kit, but one that still requires some shaping and sanding.

I'm going to sound like a broken record, if you've followed my posts, but almost any of tbe Northeast Aerodynamics kits (other than the profiles) would be a good one to learn on.

www.ne-aero.com

The profiles actually would be a good starting point, but they're really, in my opinion, just too easy.

And I'm sure there are other good ones, many of the Lanier kits, for example.

If you find you get along well with the woodwork, then you can do the complicated build. Just take your time and follow the instructions.

If the simpler kit gives you a hard time, you can build some more, or go the ARF route and dump the complex kit. I'd be sorry to lose anyone from the kit builders group, though.

But don't just dump a complex kit because you were scared at first seeing a box of sticks. It's not to be afraid of, it's to enjoy the building and flying.

Then you might start building from plans, and someday reach the pinnacle: Your own design, true scratch building.

That's the real peak - your own airplane, all the way from the first idea, to seeing it fly. Gives you REAL bragging rights.

Bill.

PS: People who build from plans just think they're good. Haw. wr.