RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another brushless 'myth', lower KV = more torque
Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Another brushless 'myth', lower KV = more torque

Oh well, what do I know?....I'm a nitro guy......LOL.

Interesting video by the way. Where was the cap added? Must have been to the output side of the ESC to see the wavefrom change if it's voltage. If it were to the battery side of the ESC, the scope would have to show current I suppose, and that can be a bit tricky to set up.... Also, I couldn't see where the scope was set, but what frequency are the pulses at? Too low and you'll need a really big cap with the crazy currents you guys are running......chuckle.

Anyway, I find all this interesting, but don't know much about it. I researched the KV term and it did say "no load"...guess the website could be wrong:

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products-ca...SS-MOTORS.html

Anyway, I would have thought:

Intial start-up = current limited by winding resistance (current goes down as motor speeds up, but high at first)
lower turns = lower resistance = high surge current
high surge current = higher starting torque

Therefore the 10000KV motor should have been better from a standing start. However as you mention, there are other variables.

Thanks for not taking this the wrong way. I really don't know much about electric and I found your initial post very interesting and informative.