RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hog Bipe Build - 2009
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 12:50 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hog Bipe Build - 2009

Step 5 (completion)

Firewall leading edge base was beveled to conform to the angle of the fuse & doubler.

Building Note: a good quality sanding block like Great Planes Easy-Touch sanding bar with 80 grip paper makes this a breeze. I have used home grown sanding blocks made of hard balsa with 80 grit paper. The ¼” ply is very hard and will deform the balsa block.

P-4 cabane mount supports were positioned, glued & clamped.

Building Note: the supports need to be set back 1/8” from the edge of the fuse top. A couple of pieces of kit trash 1/8” lite ply and clamps made for a nice set back jig. Be careful to clean up the wet glue on the inside of the support to allow the cabane mount blocks B-3 to seat nicely on the fuse surface. I used 30 minute epoxy and cleaned up with an alcohol-saturated cotton swab.

B-3 cabane mounting blocks were positioned, glued & clamped.

Building Note: I was very careful when buttering the back of the mounting blocks with 30 minute epoxy. I was careful to only apply epoxy to the outboard edge of the backside of the blocks. When clamped the epoxy will be forced toward the cabane slot but not enough to ooze into the slot.

4-40 cabane mount blind nuts located and glued.

Building Note: I do not want to shock the glue joint between the B-3 mounting block and the fuse by tapping the 4-40 blind nuts in place with a hammer. I pulled the nuts in place with a “throw away” 4-40 bolt from the fuse side. Be sure to us a sacrificial piece of wood between the head of the bolt and the fuse side.

TTFN
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72495.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1136157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24111.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1136158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86721.jpg
Views:	78