RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 AM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Ray-E Man, I just thought I'd say that carbon fiber in the middle of a sandwich is not so effective. The material works in tension (like steel). Putting it in the middle of a sandwich has almost a null effect. Not to be too critical, just want us all to learn and understand best uses of material. -Eric

As an edit, I should say that you will get some benefit out of the carbon fiber for sure, and I wish I had made stronger rails (i'll find out). I think it is not so bad an idea for the screwing down of the units to be a weak link, such that a bad landing pulls out screws and doesn't destroy internal structure. This is important. Easier to fix a scraped up bottom and buy a new prop, then to rebuild the wing where the mounts are tearing the entire wing to pieces! One just needs to figure how much stress required to pull out the gear screws before damaging the whole wing, yet still be strong enough for regular good landings (just old school advice for those who haven't done this for decades)! -Eric