RCU Forums - View Single Post - Basic...Really?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 AM
sewbusy

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Basic...Really?

ORIGINAL: vupilot

Questions.....I am interested in my first IMAC, I have prior experience in full scale aerobatics though.

In Basic I understand its legal to fly any size/type airplane. Honestly though I am wondering, if I show up with a .60 size aerobatic monoplane in the mid-west am I going to be the only one flying such a small plane? Will the vast majority of the Basic competitors be flying 27% and larger aircraft?

Are any of the contests just single day events or are they each all weekend long affairs?
Hi there Vupilot... Welcome to the Scale Aerobatics world. You are correct...in Basic, a pilot can fly any aircraft. I have seen quite a few pilots flying smaller pattern airplanes in their first venture into IMAC and have done pretty good with them too. You will not be judged on the size of your airplane so you should work on the Basic sequence with what you have. Trimming it properly for competition will relieve a lot of pilot work load and give you more "nano-seconds" to concentrate on flying the sequence. Realistically, you will see larger than the .60 size airplanes however, I would use what you have now & experience the adrenaline of competition once again, this time standing on the ground looking up.

We normally have a 2 day contest throughout the USA, however weather will play a very important part if the contest remains a two day event.

Please visit the IMAC website http://www.mini-iac.com/ & take a look at the region nearest to where you live to see what contests are on the calendar for your area. We do also have a Forum that after registering, you will have access to, where you can ask relevant questions.

Safe flying & hope to see you at a contest soon,
Wayne
IMAC Sequence Committee