RCU Forums - View Single Post - All Composite 1/7th P-40E Mould Build
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Slow Low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: All Composite 1/7th P-40E Mould Build

I've been delaying this post primarily because it's difficult to demonstrate progress at the rate that I know others enjoy watching. However, I've been asked to put down my sanding block and share; so share I will.
As many of us know any good finishing job goes through an alternating state of ugly, better, ugly, better, ugly, better until you decide at some point that better is just not going to happen again. I tend not to like to share pics of the ugly, but I suppose it does provide some insight into what a blended surface looks like under that final coat of primer, and that is what you're getting tonight.
I've been working away steadily on the mounts for the mains. This is an area which will never been seen after the exterior pods containing the doors have been installed, but none the less it deserves proper attention as it will form deep cavities in the finished mould which will need to release. I've tried to show pics which give an overview of the process, but won't bore you with the repetition that's actually involved. In order to achieve a final blended look, I've now applied thinned finishing resin and then sanded it level three times now. I know it looks ugly, but it's getting pretty close. Hopefully the next series of pics will be nice and shiny!
It's worth noting that over the years I've learned that this is not something that you can power through and get done properly in a week or two. It's tempting to think that with constant effort you could get this sort of thing done in short order but in fact what time has taught me is quite the opposite. It sounds corny I know, but when you want something you can be proud of, you don't build it; it builds itself through you. You have to work in short spurts and then just walk away. Don't worry about walking away, it will call you back and when it does you'll be at your best. You can't force your will on something like this and that's the point. It's not a project to be managed, it's a manifestation of something intangible. I know what it sounds like and twenty years ago I'd have been laughing out loud for sure. Live and learn I guess, live and learn.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29023.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1140240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53023.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1140241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42273.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	45.1 KB