RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Size Dumas Boat Club
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 04:17 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Size Boat Club

The link brought me to a nitro buggy, all cool though because I surfed around and I stumbled around and seen that same $75 U-1 glass hull for $35 in plastic, RTR with radio.

I think someone is popping glass copies off of it, and trying to make a buck. Looking at the glass copy though, I wouldn't drop a coin on it, it's so wavey and nothing is sharp cornered on it like it should be. It makes a huge difference in speed, especially on low powered hulls like these where EVERYTHING counts big time if you want more than toy performance.

I also seen the Toki motors. They make a .050 with double ball bearings and it is an ABC type with sleeve that the airplane flyers have been talking about. Better designed than Cox but Cox still wins on power. Definetly a nice looking motor though, and could be hot rodded with a tuned pipe and a machined water jacket head if you have capabilities. Something that really cant be done sucessfully with a Cox engine. They don't take to a tuned pipe because they have sub-port induction which robs the pipe pressure.

Airplane heads just won't be able to carry the heat away like they should, because usually airflow is way down with boats because of the engine bay, plus they dont "fly" as fast as a plane would, so theres just less of air to start with. Plus they are always under more strain than air use. Good thing they offer a Buggy head, that would work too just like my idea with the Micro Lite fins on the Cox.

There's a new quest for 1/2A engines now because of Cox disappearing, and then Norvel diving out also. Really the only two serious makers, now gone.

You can still buy O.K. Cub engines like you see in the vintage round nose models above, still brand new straight from the factory...but unfortunately make more noise and smoke than they ever will on power no matter what you do with them.

Thanks Mr Hydro, you helped bring up more topic with that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37470.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1141420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23792.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1141421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82609.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	26.9 KB