RCU Forums - View Single Post - Four Maiden Flights
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Four Maiden Flights

Truly a GREAT DAY. . .

The sight is truly Shangri La. . .and a privelage to be invited and participate. Thanks Keith,

A few answers to possible questions;

The Dragon weighed in at 28lbs dry, powered by our jf120 Super Eagle. Flap system is unique in as much as they are full fowler flaps. This jet takes off perfectly w/o flaps and does it on its own. However, landing flaps must be at the full 90 degree position for landing. Trust us, we tried it both ways. Flaps require no mixing of elevator, BUT do require flying to the grownd with power. This jet is very fast and does not require more thrust. Actually will fly fine with a range of 24 to 30. Flat out wide open, on step, is very, very fast. Set ups as recommended are just about perfect.

F-86 is powered with our jf100 Falcon which proved way too much power. Entire flight was flown at 1/2 throttle, so I will dial it down for the next flight. Again, Flaps as set up using factory settings proved perfect and there is no pitch change in either flap setting. NOTE: this jet is very roll sensitive. Factory suggested throws proved too much. Expo was at 35%. Jet weight in at just under 25lb. A perfect maiden flight.

BobCat powered by our VT 90 Rabbit (this is the third B'Cat with this power) and as everyone has said, it is the perfect turbine/ airframe combination Nothing really needs to be said about BVM's BobCat. It's all been said before. Dustin did the initial set ups with the 12X with Keith Sievers changing only slightly a few of the settings. A perfect maiden flight.

I had a most enjoyable flight with the Dragon, but sadly, we ran out of time.

Kudo's to Bill Hatcher, builder of the F-86 and Dragon. . .also maiden flight on the Dragon. Bill is an extraordinary builder who's attention to detail and performance of equipment is over the top. If you need a jet or IMAC plane built, Bill is your source. Thanks also to Boli Muentes (flies like he is sitting in the cockpit)who maidened the F-86 and pronounced it perfect with no changes other than in the roll set up. His touch is as I said "like he is sitting in the cockpit." Turned to me and said. . ."you will enjoy this jet every time you fly it".

Last, but certainly not last, Keith Sievers built the BobCat and did the maiden. Keith's maiden program is well thought out and is a religion with him. I stood by him (just to the rear as he does not want to see his caller) and responded to two requests during the flight. Again a perfect maiden.

A full day by anyone's measure. . .4 maidens in one day all within a timespan of 4 hours (I was late by 25 minutes) with no issues. Each jet built to perfection and double checked and again checked. Only issue was the need to reverse the servo on the F-86 Rudder.

Keith, we thank you for the privelage and kindness you extended each of us. Shangri La remains a secret.

Cheer to all,
Eric Clapp