RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Size Dumas Boat Club
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 11:07 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Size Boat Club

Mr Hydro,

The Picco engine link is awesome. It looks like they have stepped up the quality of the Toki .05.

The Picco advertized as a staggering 36,000 rpm capability, and looks like much higher quality internally than the Toki.

In the 1/2A flyers forum there's quite a thread going there on the Toki, and everyone seems to be quite disappointed with its power and quality. Looks like Picco took care of that problem quite well. Nice motor!

Check out the pics I posted. If you compare the internals to a Toki, the Picco blows it straight into the weeds. Nicely machined con-rod. The Toki has a aluminum/brass old style dogbone and is heavy.

One thing that still handicaps the Picco is the crank end on it, plus the short nose room and clearance for a flywheel. If one wanted to spend time modifying one I'm sure it can all be worked around.

Ron,

Thats a good point you brought up about stuffing tubes, and good to keep in mind. Aluminum sure sounds tempting to use. It bends a lot easier than brass, but if it's going to gall up I guess it's best to stay away from it, unless of course a teflon tube or wire drive is used.

About that China strut and rudder package on eBay, the seller wrote me back and said everything concerning the drive like the propshaft, bushings, threads, ect is all imperial size which is standard. Good news for me, I plan on ordering one then and go with my own soldered flex to stub shaft combo, instead of using the square drive he offers. They rob power, noisey, and vibrate.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23896.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1142676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24108.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1142677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64284.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	41.4 KB