RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ed Kazmirski's Taurus
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Because, as Ed explained in the 'Champ Chats' transcription, (October 1962 RCM&E) his 'Taurus' is modified from that original drawing. There was no drawing available of Eds mods, and the kit/MAN plan wasn't done, so the only way he could help Dennis with the build was to send him the sketches of the bits, and a tape to describe what was to be done.
Evan, WB #12.
The Africa article says plans for the trip got underway in Nov of 1961, probably along with the "brown paper drawings and tapes". According to the prototype plans, the first flight was late November 1961. It is completely believeable that Ed could have sent some sketches and tapes while his plane was being finished up, (before its first flight), and before the plans were drawn and published. The world in 1962 was not the high tech world we have now; (e-mail attachments and PDF files couldn't even be dreamed of then). Just because the plan was drawn Dec 6, 1961 doesn't mean the plan was published and widely available right away, so sketches and drawings could very well have been the only means Dennis had to see Ed's Taurus as he was framing out his own Taurus. BTW-Just as a reminder, Dennis said he built his Taurus just in case there were problems in the shipping of his own planes. Dennis never said how many tapes and drawing were sent, only that it was done. Perhaps by the time of the trip Dennis DID receive a set of plans...we don't know.

I have to re-read Ed's statement that his plane was modified from the original plan. That plan said it was taken from the contest Taurus prototype, so it doesn't make immediate sense to me that his Taurus would be different.

Evan, do you remember where the "Champs Chat" post was, and is in in its entirely?

Thanks
Duane