RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Rimfire motors?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Rimfire motors?

ORIGINAL: Dr Kiwi

Rimfire motors have ridiculously optimistic specs for max. amps and max. watts!

I tested the 35-30-1250 and found that it had no hope of surviving a 10x7 APC E on 3s - my test motor (sent to me by Great Planes for test purposes) drew almost 30A/330W and got HOT (65C) very fast...even a 10x5 APC E was too much for it. The most I would use would be a 9x5 or 10x6 GWS HD ... no more than 250W.

Hopefully, after they've replaced lots of motors Great Planes will finally realize that their motors CANNOT sustain the amp/watts loads they recommend. I tried to tell them this after testing several different Rimfire outrunners for them, but they've obviously paid no heed.

But you are seriously at fault with the 4600 (35-30-1450) - it is HIGHER Kv yet you are running an even bigger prop... what on earth do you think this will do to the motor??? Even GP recommends no more than a 9x6... and that is probably optimistic!
well....................i have the same motor and use the apc 10x7 e and it works great, i have even used top flight and MAS 10x7 props (fpr glow) and they have worked great
i just got a 11x4 im going to try w/ the motor (topflight power point, wood prop) to get more torque
i only have a 25 amp esc so maybe thats why it aint frying, but since im useing it on gws foamies i could care less if i dont have full power since i fly on 5-6 clicks of throttle most of the time, even when i WOT it the esc is still cool after flight so......

the rimfire motors are durable in crashes, i have put one through a tree that landed motor first on a asphalt road (the wing ripped off in the tree, got it back the next day) and it only had a scratch (needed shaft replacement). a few nose dives into the ground have required shaft changes but i was amazed the motor still worked when it hit the asphalt.