RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric Racing Development Efforts
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Ken Erickson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Racing Development Efforts

Hindsight is 20/20. I have written this to Don privately, but now will admit to it in public.

I believe one of our big mistakes in Texas was basing our classes on equipment rather than break-out times. Two years ago, Bernard Siegle of the San Antonio Prop Busters had electrified a Sky Raider. He was not allowed to race it, because it was electric. Classes based on a spec airplane and break-out times would have allowed him in.

Yes, racing has been based on regulating what kind of equipment may be used. Wait, there is the Warbird racing.

Here in Columbus, IN there will be an attempt to use Sky Raiders and LA racers and base classes on break-out times, because the engines I want to use are only available used. Archie"s prices are intriguing to me, as I had not tried to figure the cost. But will the electron guys be tempted to move up to 424?

I did the test flight of Bernard's electric SKM2. It wasn't great with his 5000 mA battery, but when he put in the smaller capacity, same voltage one, it was quite fine. So fine that I flew it until the power weakened and emergency/crash landed short of the runway.

Maybe the Cowman and the Farmer can be friends. But that was Oklahoma.

Maybe we can run motors and engines in the same heats.

Ken