RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing - help
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fiberglassing - help

I'm building a CraftAir Firebird from the late 70's? early 80's? (think more boxy ultrasport).
The fuse is all balsa with no lightening holes so I'm thinking it will be my first candidate to fiberglass. I have never done this before other than using minwax poly on small glider pods, with very good results, however I'm looking for somthing more durable. The entire fuse shell and tail surfaces are balsa sheet. I'm hoping to use covering for the wings only.
I've done some reading on this but not clear on the steps. With talks of resins and hardeners, etc. I'm not sure of the products to use. I believe I'm looking at some sort of two part mix that is brushed on over the glass with the excess squeezed off? Is it wise to spary a very light mist of 3m sticky spray to hold the glass in place? I was planning on a very light weight glass cloth as it was only going to have ultracote on it anway so strenght is of prime concern.

I was planning on painting with Lustrekote spray as this is said to be fuelproof from the can. How does one "tape" off the design? painters tape, etc. I would hate to have the colors bleed underneath.

Lots of questions i know and apologize but basically it comes down to:
Glassing: If two parts? what are they? what weight of glass? 3m to tack down the glass first? Best way to mask a design?
Mike