RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wild Hare 35% Edge
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wild Hare 35% Edge

Bill,

My spreadsheet uses an average of the actual weights I can find, sorted by engine size/"type" (single vs. twin). Tom's Edge with the DA-85 on a 25 oz canister system weighed 24.5#. On a pitts muffler the weight will be a bit over 23.5# so I used that number.

This gives a cubic loading of 7.55 which puts it in good company, right in the middle of the EF Yak, 2.7m Radiowave Extra, Dietrich 75cc Extra, WH Extra, Pilot-RC 35% Yak, QQ 101" Yak, etc. Of course the Edge is significantly lighter than all of those planes with the exception of the Dietrich and Radiowave planes.

The undisputed king of the hill in terms of cubic loading (when using an 85cc engine) is the PAU Edge (7.07 cubic loading), based mostly on its mammoth wing area and the fact it is several pounds lighter than the Pilot-RC Yak on the same wing area. Incidentally the Wild Hare Giles (7.09 cubic loading) is very close behind the PAU Edge. These two are far ahead of the next group led by the Pilot-rc Yak at 7.29, and EF Yak and WH Extra both at 7.38.

If you look at the same planes using a 100cc twin (on mufflers) things change a bit. The Pilot-RC is the tops at 7.29 followed by the PAU Edge at 7.63, EF Yak at 7.80, WH Giles at 7.81, WH Extra at 8.10, and WH Edge at 8.19.

To give a frame of reference the Aeroworks 100cc Yak is an outstanding plane and is an impressive flying plane. However it has a somewhat smaller wing area and slightly heavier than most other planes in its class. Its cubic loading is 8.6 on an 85cc engine and 8.95 on a 100cc engine, putting it near the "bottom" of the 100cc planes. It is good, but these are "better" in terms of flying light. My friend Dave let me fly his 150cc PAU Edge a while ago and it was in INCREDIBLE floater. At ~38.5# it has a cubic loading of 6.60, which confirms its floating characteristics. It literally floats like a balloon.

All this intellectual property is based on my own research and calculations, and I retain all rights to it. I also stand behind it with the numbers to back it up.

Honestly if you add two+ pounds of canisters, in addition to an extra pound of engine, you might blow the curve a bit. I have no doubt the plane will fly fine but it won't be as good as it could be. I estimate your weight will be about 27.5#, which would give you a cubic loading of 8.83 which is a rough equivalent to the (excellent) AW 100cc Yak. It will fly very well, but not as well as it would if it was 2+ pounds lighter.

Does that cover it? Hope so!

Brett