RCU Forums - View Single Post - SHRIKE CLUB # 1
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 06:50 AM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Mike, I hope you're using a computer radio. Along with being sensitive in roll, the shrike is very sensitive in pitch because it's short coupled. For elevator, you'll want low rates for flying and high rates for landing to keep the nose high. The control throws are written on the plans and are a good place to start.

If you're on the CG according to the plans, the plane will feel nose heavy especially at landing speeds and you'll want all the elevator you can get. Have your assistant close by for trim adjustments as you'll have your hands full just keeping orientation on your plane. In regards to orientation, DON"T TAKE YOUR EYE OFF THIS PLANE FOR A SECOND. I'm speaking from experience as I nearly lost my first one because I got distracted. Because of it's small frontal cross section, there may be times during routine flight that you lose sight for a split second, a good example of this would be when the plane is at your 11:00 position making a 180 degree left turn. When your turn is nearly completed, just before roll-out, you may notice the plane sorta disappears. This is because the only part of the airframe being presented to your eyes is the wing leading edge and the tail leading edges. Don't panic, just remember that you're in a left turn and allow the plane to continue until you see the sides again. You may have experienced this with your Sig Wonder, if so, you know what I'm talking about.

I have logged over 200 hours on a shrike .10 and attained a high level of proficiency with this design. If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to drop me a line and that goes for anyone else who reads this as well. Happy flying fellas! Spring is just around the corner!