RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

I was thinking again last night how docile this airplane is, and I think it is partially due to the way I make leading edges on everything. (Not entirely, because I think TopFlite's choice of airfoils and the tip washout have a lot to do with it.)

I can't remember what the plans called out for leading edge shape, and in any event, I didn't pay any attention. I always do a "shoe shine" sanding job on leading edges. After I do the basic shaping, I take a long piece of 120 grit paper that will wrap around the LE from spar to spar and pull it back and forth like a shoe shine cloth as I work from tip to root and back. The idea is to get a very round, almost blunt leading edge. I read a long time ago that this costs some speed and agility, but that it prolongs the onset of a stall, and makes the stall much gentler when it does arrive.

Seems to work. There is no need to be above idle on this bird from a 100' base leg entry all the way to touch down, no wind with the flaps down. If I add power at any point on the glide, I end up having to go around because she's too high and fast.