RCU Forums - View Single Post - Brent Good Custom Airframes 50cc Yak 54
Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Stick Bender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brent Good Custom Airframes 50cc Yak 54

Well it appears to be air worthy. It flew (very nicely) and landed without incident. I did have a close call on my first approach, I've never landed a Yak and it slows way faster than the Extra did. I just about stalled it at the end of the runway and the engine was rich so it almost didn't rev up fast enough to save me, whew, close call.

I was really nervous on the first 2 very short flights, the wind died down and the sky turned blue. I checked it over, retightend the new prop. Everything looked fine. The third flight I actually flew it. On trim it took one click down and one click right aileron, not bad for just eyeballing my trims. Knife edge was easy, there was still a breeze so if there was coupling there was so little I couldn't tell. I don't think I will need any mix for knife edge (which I needed on my little Extra)

A slight error was made when I made my original CG marks and they were off a tad. I'm probably tailheavy by 1/16 maybe an 1/8. It is dead neutral inverted and climbs on an inverted 45° upline. Looks like the batteries will wind up right up front with the engine. Supposed to be nice tomorrow, I may or may not relocate the batteries before I fly it tomorrow, we'll see how I feel in the morning (not happening tonight)

So, Yeah! I'm impressed and very happy! She flies great already and when I fix the cg it's going to be a dream. It is so much more stable than my Extra 260.

I didn't try high rates but low are very close to what I like, this is the first plane I ever built and my biggest, to say I was nervous would be an understatement. With a few more carb tweaks I might try some 3d tomorrow. Possibly not, I'm just learning 3D and I would not want anything to happen to it.

I took some pictures after flying, I put "temporary" stripes on the cowl (cut some out of the vinyl to save the originals in case I repaint cowl) After all the compliments I received the cowl may just stay like it is, no one seemed to think it needed repainted.

I'll put the pictures up tonight or tomorrow, looks the same except for the stripes on the cowl which just turn down at the end like a birds beak.

With all the vinyl on it, longer prop bolts and springs for the tailwheel. the AUW dry was 16 pounds 9 ounces. I weighed it at the field and it was 17 even w/ approx half a tank.

The more I think about it the more I realize the only thing that bothers me is the CG issue, good chance I will fix it tomorrow just to see how awesome this thing really is, I already know it's going to be my new favorite.