RCU Forums - View Single Post - Walkera WK-2801 8ch Multifunctional Transmitter Review
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
GTX SlotCar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera WK-2801 8ch Multifunctional Transmitter Review

ORIGINAL: HansV

The 2801 is a Walkera beefed-up version of the Spectrum DX7 and the JR DXR7. It has 8 channels versus 7 for the DX7 ...
I don't think it's a beefed up or any other kind of version of the DX7 or DXR7. It's just a different radio. I haven't seen it and it may be nice, but it only has 8 model memories compared to the DX7's 20 memories. My 72mHz radio, a Hitec Eclipse 7, only had 7 model memories and I ran out of them within a year. For a lot of people, it's a big deal. I paid $167.50 for my DX7 (without receiver or servos). I buy the AR6100 Rx's for $42 each when I buy them 6 at a time.
Spektrum uses DSM2. Since they're owned by Horizon Hobbies, and Horizon also owns E-flite, the DX7 is compatible with E-flite products. JR also uses DSM2 through a liscencing agreement. The 2801 uses it's own version of 2.4G and it's not compatible with Spektrum or DSM2. Except for Spektrum, E-flite and JR, everyone else uses their own 2.4G technology and they aren't compatible with each other.
I'm not saying the 2801 isn't a nice radio, and the price is OK if you need that 8th channel. But, I've never used more than 7 channels and like the 20 model memories and compatibility of the DX7, and the price isn't bad, either. They're just different radios and offer different options. It's nice to have a choice based on individual needs.