RCU Forums - View Single Post - OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market
Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 PM
varcracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

ORIGINAL: dawolf

ORIGINAL: jackle
Why are you so brand loyal? PART of buisiness is competition. Havent you seen fruity o's in the cereal isle? Havent you seen "ibuprophin" instead of advil? The truth of the matter is that depending on the current economy, consumers will purchase market 2nds: Fruity O's and the KM Baja. Also, this competition brings out the quality in the higher quality models, making them premium. Look, we pay $1000.00 for something that costs about $200.00 to manufacture. SOMETHING is wrong there. If everyone started buying these clones, HPI would be forced to release a higher quality product, perhaps provide a bumper to bumper warranty or do something different. Perhaps they would even change their model and start selling these at $550 a peice and completely dominate the market! Let consumer choice drive the market NOT brand loyalty.
Well said, when your product is cloned, it is a sign that you have to step it up, and stay ahead of the cloners by innovating something new. If Detroit, Japan and Korea can put out new model cars every year certainly HPI could make some interesting changes instead of milking the cow. I definitely feel that without these "clones" we would not move forward.
And lets get another thing straight, KM stuff is not illegal, not even close. HPI does not own a patent on that design or any part of the Baja, I checked! The only thing they have a right to is the model number Baja 5b. If you do not patent, it is up for grabs, and perfectly legal. Somebody find me a patent on the HPI Baja 5b design, go ahead. It does not exist. Where is the illegality? What about all the Jap motorcycles that are designed to look like Harley Davidsons? Is Yamaha or Suzuki Breaking any laws? Fact is it is almost impossible to get a patent on a design of something as complex as a motorcycle or RC car. If you have something unique (Like Harley's Vtwin Evo motor) that can be patented. But the design is tough to pin down.

I get disgusted that some forums actually ban this type of discussion about clones. The only reason they do this is because they are either sponsored by a manufacturer that puts pressure on them, or they are run or sponsored by someone in the Hobby business. Clones are not something that is found in your Local Hobby shop, and most hobby shop owners hate clones.

I feel it is blatant censorship for selfish reasons, and they hide behind the legality issue. I have heard people bash hop-up suppliers such as Integy because they copy something. I have even heard the same people call what they do thievery. Don't hide behind the legal curtain, none of this is illegal, not even in the least bit. The main reason forums ban this type of stuff is because they lose money. I am willing to bet if KingMotors were to contact one of these forums and say we would like to advertise on your board with a banner, and I understand that HPI might get mad at you and not advertise, but to cover this loss I will pay you double what they do for an ad. All of a sudden clones will be out there just like FG and the rest. If anyone has ever gotten a chance to see one of the KM clones I hear they are the real deal, 98% exact. My next one will be a KM and I will recommend them to all. Why? Because HPI is not doing anything about it at all. They should lower their prices already and come out with an improved model/design and keep it fresh.

GO CLONES!!! And 100% Legal

Well said......