RCU Forums - View Single Post - I will never use Lipoly batteries again
Old 03-19-2009, 10:37 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I will never use Lipoly batteries again

I've been flying hi-powered edfs for about 5 years. I have always used LiPo batteries since way back when they first hit the market. One thing we have learned is to never charge LiPos without using an active balancer and never charge LiPos with a charger that does not communicate with the balancer. If one of the cells is out of balance with the others in the pack, an active balancer will shut the charger down if that cell becomes over charged. With a passive balancer or no balancer if one of the cells becomes over charged, you most likely will get the results shown at the beginning of this thread.

There are only a hand full of LiPo cell manufactures. Companies like Thunder Power and Flight Power purchase there cells from these manufactures and only purchase cells that are matched in resistance. The other companies buy the left over, rejected cells and that is why batteries from those companies don't last or hold up. Those cells get out of balance under load and become easily puffed, overheated, or outright dangerous. With LiPo batteries, you do get what you pay for.

Kirk