RCU Forums - View Single Post - Grumman Widgeon
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
ellysbro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Grumman Widgeon

Thanks, Peter,

I put the two elevator servos in the left and right stabilizers, because I couldn't figure out a way to get the linkage to the cabin. In my small 1967 Widgeon, I used a flexible nyrod-type hookup, but it would expand and contract with temperature, messing up the trims. I need to lighten up the quarter scale in order to be sure to come in below the AMA 55 lb. limit with the retracts installed. I wanted to get the servos out of the tail, as an ounce there calls for three ounces in the nose. Other ideas are to go to fabric-covered flaps, elevators and rudder. However the Widgeon I modelled has been totally metalized.

My earlier Coast Guard quarter scale had the fabric covering on the built up balsa tail surfaces. I also used pre-painted coverite on the wing and tail, to keep weight down. It weighed 44 lb. (I was shooting for 30 lb.) On the rebuild, we did it right, with balsa covered foam cores, fiberglassed and painted, and it came out 51 lb. On water, it now really could use more power than the Ryobi's, but it should take off fine from land. I am worried that the retract gear may not take the landing stresses of such a heavy plane. The pilot of the Robart test Widgeon, also pretty heavy, says that it "flies light", and he did fly it off land in Top Gun.