RCU Forums - View Single Post - Grumman Widgeon
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Grumman Widgeon

Apology time.

I noticed that there "IS" a couple of measurements on the actual full scale Widgeon gear drawing that went unnoticed.

So, now equipped with these measurements, barely readable though, I can scale the photo to the actual size of the full scale aircraft. Once this is done, I'll be able to determine the actual size of each and every gear part, including the tire size.

So, I apologize for asking for the tire size while the answer was right in front of me. Sorry.

Turns out, "based on the full scale drawing," that the actual tire size is 24.5" in diameter on the side view and 24" in diameter on the front view. Not actually a bad guess that was offered before, taken from the Paul Matt drawings, which I will have shortly.

The discrepancy, in the drawings in tire size, will have no effect with the gear drawing which I will do, of the parts or of the operating mechanics. Simply make the gear and place whatever tire size you choose.

Incidentally, I too like to increase the tire size on models whenever possible, and I view this as an advantage.

To draw the gear correctly, I really need accurate measurements. I wish I had one other important view, from above, which I don't have.

When my line drawing is completed, I can then scale the drawing to any size I choose. My graphicxs program will allow for a drawing, traced at that scale of choice on paper. The drawing, on paper, will then be the mechanical or blueprint, which will be used for building the gear parts. Also, because my program works in vectored lines, possibly, some gear parts could be laser or water jet cut. Possibly?

Incidentally, any drawing of the Widgeon aircraft can be entered into the program I use and increased to the actual full size aircraft. This is a great feature, in that, it will allow for the drawing of rivet or panel line detail with accuracy. If one chooses to take detailing this far.

I will try to determine the size of the "most used" rivet on the Widgeon. They are everyplace, obvious, and not flush!

A quick note. I did send an E-mail to G&P inquiring about their 81" kit. My primary interest was scale outlines, but as I said once before, there are variables that I can live with.

Charles

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72457.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1163242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19466.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1163243