RCU Forums - View Single Post - Grumman Widgeon
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Grumman Widgeon

All I know about are "bitmaps" and solid vector lines. For a drawing machine, laser machine, or a water jet cutter, to be able to follow a line, it must be in "vectored" format. Illustrator type program for example. Most of this equipment will read Illustrator files.

Bitmap images can be printed but not brought into a "vectored" line format. There's no lines to follow that are vectored.

I do have a program I seldom use, called "Streamline." This great program will change a "bitmap" image to a vectored image by automatic tracing. However, the lines need a "clean up," and many wind up looking like tiny tiny steps, and are never accurate enough to us as a mechanical. Especially if the mechanical is to be used for the making of parts.

I use Streamline, to trace art or to trace fonts which I'm to lazy to look for. Keep in mind, I run a Sign and Grapgicxs business. The model graphicxs I do is just a side line and I really don't push for work in that area. I am a modeler first.

But considering my plotter cuts vinyl, it also, when you place a pen in it, will draw. It's designed to use a special drawing pen. Yes, it's extremely accurate. And the pen ain't cheap.[:@]

How much is 30 hours worth?
I scratch build and generally from my own "builders" plans. However, I have and would purchase plans and sometimes short kits. Unfortunately as it may be, and for others that may do this, understand and realize how time consuming this method is. Did someone say ARF?

Building, we enjoy it! I would rather build than fly. I will enjoy putting in the time to make my gear. Look what I will have if I live long enough to complete them.[:@]

30 hours? I have almost 2K hours in the left seat as Pilot in command. 377 of those hours were in a Lake LA4-200T. This happens over a lifetime and you don't even know it's happening.

I'll do the 30 maybe 20 hours, if I'm lucky, in my spare time, over a period of time.

"Bit by bit my Citizens, bit by bit."

A line from the Movie Seabiscuit and a quote from Shakespeare.

What about those "Jugs?" anyone got the info on those radials?

Must I do everything!

Charles