RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System
Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

I think current RC pilots give too much weight to "first to market" because they think once they've bought something that is the end of it. Spektrum/JR beat everybody to market with regard to 2.4Ghz air radios by a year or more. They have a very diverse product line and a very large variety of receivers and accessories available.

In spite of what has been perceived as Spektrum/JR's "insurmountable" lead, Futaba and Airtronics have been slowly but steadily gaining marketshare and increasing their product lines. Hitec is getting ready to enter the 2.4Ghz air radio marketplace with an extremely strong offering as well as upgrade paths for existing Hitec owners. Hobby Lobby just started promoting the new Jeti lineup of modules and receivers. We're even seeing competition in the lowest price segments from various Chinese manufacturers like Hobby King, Corona, and ESky.

If getting first to market were truly that important, we would all have been flying Kraft or Ace radio systems. Hitec has an opportunity to offer a strong 2.4Ghz FHSS radio system to all of the thousands of future RC flying enthusiasts who will be getting into the hobby for the first time over the next several years. There is also a significant percentage of RC pilots currently in the hobby who still haven't made the switch from 72Mhz FM. To them, Hitec is a trusted brand that is known for quality and value.

I think Mike may not be too far off the mark about being late to the dance but still having the ability to steal the show. The Aurora radio system looks like a very solid product offering with a tremendous number of features for its price. If Hitec RCD follows through with solid marketing and customer service efforts, there will still be plenty of customers available for them to claim as their own.

The nice thing about owning JR/Spectrum DSM2 radio equipment is there are plenty of prospective buyers out there when you decide to sell your stuff for something better.