RCU Forums - View Single Post - Odd Motor/ESC Issue
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
BigTb17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Motor/ESC Issue

I recently purchased a Hyperion outrunner and I was setting it up to install it in a Mini Slinger. I was going to use a Great Planes SS25 ESC I had lying around. The motor is brand new and this is the first time I ran it. I installed a 4.5x4 APC prop, plugged in a 750 mAh 3s lipo and started throttling it up. Everything was fine untill around half throttle when the motor started making an odd glitching sort of noise and the amperage spiked super high and the motor started heating up quickly. It almost sounded like it was cutting out and turning back on very rapidly. The battery voltage was fine, and the servos weren't glitching or jittering at all and response to throttle inputs remained solid (not a radio issue).

I decided to remove the prop and see what happened with no load. The same thing happened, but this time it happened before half throttle and still (despite no load) the amperage spiked to around 15 amps and the motor started getting hot. It seemed RPM related, not so much throttle position related. It seems like a possible timing issue, but there is no way to change the timing on the SS25, so I don't know if there are any other options.

I tried a different motor on the SS25, same battery, same Tx and Rx, and it seemed to work fine (no load). I then tried the motor I was having issues with on an E-flite 20 amp ESC and it also worked fine (load and no load). It's just that one motor with the SS25.

I haven't used the SS25 in a while and would probably lean on placing the blame there, but it seemed to work ok with a different motor. I'm just wondering it anybody has similar experience/issues or if someone knows of any timing incompatibilities with this ESC or motor. The motor is a Hyperion Z1709-06 (2100kv) 12 magnet, 9 pole.