RCU Forums - View Single Post - *** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 AM
pauldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***

This is the first time I have read this thread, and the difference of oppinion is stagering, but, in my experience, certainly representative of the moddelers here in South Africa. I have a number of Super Tigres, and have learned a number of lessons. If you get one that runs, it will last forever.
It is true that the carbs are not ideal. They do run rich in the midrange. This was a real problem in the 2300, 3250 and 4500. The 3000 did not seem to suffer as badly. This problem became worse if you used more than the sipulated 10% oil. We did not notice this problem as much in the past. Our flying style has, however, changed, and we make far more use of midrange now, than before, thanks to 3D flying. You had to get the low end as lean as possible, to a point where it would almost die when you opened the throttle. This gave you the best transision.
Nitro in some of these engines is a No-No
5% is OK in the 2300, but use a colder plug - OS no5
The 3000 is happy on 5%
The 3250 has had a chequered past. Some run, and some don't. In fact the first of the 3250 were produced with a double concave combustion chanber. These did not run at all. Super Tigre then swapped out these heads, but we still battled to get the motors to run thereafter.
The 4500 will not run with 5% nitro, and will cut our soon after removing the plug.
This is caused by pre ignition. All of you who have unexplained flame outs in the air reduce your nitro content. The compression in these engines is set for use with little or no nitro.

The best thing to happen to SuperTigre is the move to China. They solved one of the biggest problems. They modified the Carb barrel which is used in all engines from the 2300 to 4500. The reduced the lateral movement of the barrel as you opened and closed the throttle. The slot / cam, which controls this was cut at a shallower angle, thus changing the calibration of the carb, and correcting the fuel metering in the mid range. I have bought new barrels for all of my 2300 to 4500 engines and they are now brilliant. My 3000's run absolutely smooth right down to idle.

I am a Super Tigre fan, but am aware of their shortcomings. They seem to make 10 good motors, and then a couple of bad ones, or one of the componants lets them down. i.e the carb. I tried to clean up the ports on a 2300 sleave once, and it was so hard, it damaged my file, without a mark on the sleave. Hence they will take time to run in, but last forever.

Love them or hate them, when you get a good one, it will be very very good.