RCU Forums - View Single Post - novak super sport question
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 02:26 PM
NovakTwo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: novak super sport question

Let us return to the early days of yesteryear.....Here are some comments that I posted last August on another forum:

When Novak spent several years designing, prototyping, testing and investing in the tooling for our first BL motors (4300 and 5800), there was no guarantee that ROAR would ever consider our motors, or any other BL motors, for inclusion in racing. All the R&D and investment was a huge risk for the company.

None of the existing brush companies had shown any interest in developing BL motors, which Novak felt (early in this century) would be an enormous improvement over the existing brush motor designs. I'm still surprised that none of those companies made the investment in BL technology, but they didn't.

It was a huge, expensive risk for Novak-developing and promoting a product line for which we had never been known. We sold the earliest motors for a couple of years before ROAR and the racing community were even willing to consider adopting rules. And there was pressure from the sellers of brush motors who resisted any new rules which would threaten their sales of the existing brush motors.

We offered to OEM our motors to Associated/Reedy Modified, but they worked with LRP to tool up a motor based on Novak's original design. Once the LRP motors were available, ROAR then considered the earliest provisional rules for the new motors. The first rules were shepherded through the ROAR approval process by Mike Reedy(Associated/LRP), who was then President of IFMAR-the international racing sanctioning organization.
I read (or scan) and comment on more R/C forums each day than anyone else posting here and I pay special attention to comments relating to Novak's quality and customer service. Do customers often prefer other companies' products? Yes, they do. But, that has been true for the 30 plus years that Novak has been in business. Our goal is to constantly improve both our products and our CS and TS options. Where we fall short, it is a top priority to improve.