RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric Racing Development Efforts
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Iceman67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Racing Development Efforts

My new APC's came in finally and I was able to go and fly last Thursday night. Finally had a few guys at the field so it was nice to have some company out there. I have attached the Eagle Tree data collected from the flight with the 9 x 7.5 & the 9 x 9 APC "E" props. Both flights were virtually identical in speed thus pointing that the battery has nothing more to give. This could be a great way to limit the power instead of using a watt limiter. I think out of all the props tested, the 9 x 7.5 showed the best bang for the buck. The power-system is running very efficient at these power levels and not overloaded at all.

So for my suggestions for EP Q-500, I would suggest the following:

-Any legal 424 airframe
-3.75lb minimum weight
-35-48-1100 Turnigy SK motor (must be exposed)
-AMA safety nut or spinner to be used.
-2500 maH 4S pack (20C) max pack size
-APC 9 x 7.5 "E" prop hand out @ race

Safety Requirements
An external arming plug to disarm the system while aircraft is still assembled. This is a must for safe operation. All other AMA safety rules that apply to Q-500 racing to apply.

I feel this event would be a great fit for AMA short course, AMA long course, or for AMA540-B (2) pylon course. I am bringing my Composite Raptor up to Michigan this weekend to see if I can stage a race with my brother and his 424 with a TT40 pro. I hope we get the weather to stage and video a race. I still think this EP Q-500 falls a bit short of a 424 with a TT40 pro, but not by much. It would be a great entry level event.

Any thoughts?

Take Care,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17490.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1169180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94077.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1169181