RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ed Kazmirski's Taurus
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Certainly, so far as I can tell, the supposed 'benefits' of the rudder sweep are practically undetectable.
Glad to hear that, just my sentiments! I always thought the rake was a rave of the time and the simulator programmer rightly neglected it.

As to spinning, I meant you have to slow down just near stall so the yaw induced by full rudder lets the "inner" wing stall and the "outer" wing not. If you stall first, both wings stall but not at their tips and no autorotation occurs. Of course you know this trick, but I wanted to say that the simulator stunningly renders it. At least I'm still stunned because I imagine this effect being there in the simulator.

By the way, not only the blunt-nose airfoil makes Taurus hard to spin. Also the wing planform is not that tapered as seen on modern models to let the stall begin more outboards to the wing tips. Compare the elliptical lift distribution drawn over the trailing edge of the right wing. In the fuselage, red point is neutral point and green point is c/g, shown in the forward 4.75" position giving about 15% static margin. Rearward 5" c/g gives about 13% static margin. Tail area is 25% of wing area, another nice round number (and rule of thumb).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29659.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1173933