RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ed Kazmirski's Taurus
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

ORIGINAL: UStik

Oh well, couldn't wait, T2 flies virtually.

As you may expect, it spins very well and even snaps/flicks like crazy! In fact, you can stall it in level flight and it will bank and try to spin, so be careful. I set elevator throw to 30 degrees (25 is enough) instead of the 40 degrees kick-up (is no longer needed because T2 was proportional). It's not vicious though, just stay one mistake high when coming near stall, should be enough to pull out safely. I can't guarantee for the realism of the virtual model, but it surely shows general behavior.

I'm sure because the better spinning doesn't come from the airfoil, at least not directly. The airfoil's stall behavior is not very different from that of the NACA 2419. The wing planform isn't that spin-promoting, either, even though the point of first stall is a bit more outboards. If the model is set up with the very stable 15% static margin (forward c/g) like the T1, it is just as reluctant to spin as the T1.

The small static margin and neutral behavior is possible because there is no airfoil pitching moment. The elevator is more effective as well. The wing is a bit sleeker than the T1 wing and you have to plan your landing approach to bleed off the speed. The ST 58 will not pull "faster" because rpm and propeller are the same, but it pulls much more (0.94 thrust/weight, 6 lb overall weight) than the Veco 45.

T2 is a much more modern model than T1, neutral, smooth and powerful, predictable, soft landings. Still terrible couplings, much belly pitch and positive roll. Not vicious, just be careful with stalling maneuvers. Don't be scared, c/g is 8.5" behind center leading edge on the virtual model. Again, no guarantee, but expect a great flier!

P.S.: You can start with the c/g 3" more forward (or even more), the model is still under control, just with substantial elevator. Then gradually approach the right c/g position. Just in case you inted to fly the T2 at Easter.
Thanks Burkhard...you're bringing a new perspective to this thread with your simulations. Thanks for the "heads-up" about how the plane SHOULD FLY.

I would think the airfoil changes would be significant, and that was the motivating factor behind the switch to the Bosch airfoil and tapered wing...to correct for the high degree of stability, and lack of a good spin. The less blunt leading edge with the widest point of the airfoil further back would help the plane to spin, along with the taper nature of the wing.....but I am not that knowledgable about aerodynamics, so I defer to others with more knowledge.

One of the questions I still have is just where to put the C/G. The "Japanese" Taurus-2 had its C/G 6-3/4" back according to the text by the pictures.

Duane