RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ed Kazmirski's Taurus
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

ORIGINAL: kingaltair
One of the questions I still have is just where to put the C/G. The "Japanese" Taurus-2 had its C/G 6-3/4" back according to the text by the pictures.
Well, as I wrote last but not least in #1197, I would say c/g is right at 8.5" behind center leading edge. You can start 3" more forward (or even more), the model is still under control, just with substantial elevator. Then gradually approach the right c/g position. But you have the landing gear as a clue. 1" in front of the wheel axles could be a good c/g position as well. Just in case you intend to fly the T2 at Easter.

I believe the Japan T2 was one of Ed's first attempts in swept wings. As measured in an earlier post, it was a standard TF fuselage, only the wing built with straight trailing edge. So the c/g had to be 2" more aft and the tail moment arm was effectively shorter by that amount. Still the wing had the NACA 2419 airfoil and the plane had the big stability margin. That means it must have been a dog to spin.

Next attempt was the even thicker carrier wing, but with a special fuselage which reconstituted the tail and nose moment arms of the straight wing contest (Nats/VRCS) Taurus. That's your T2 fuse. Due to the very thick wing, Ed reduced the vertical moment arms (wing higher, thrust line and empennage lower). Maybe it didn't spin well either due to the very thick and blunt wing.

Then he had also the pusher and obviously planned to use its wing on a T2. Maybe therefore he built the unfinished fuse with the old vertical moment arms because this wing is "normally" thick, and only 1" longer tail / shorter nose moment arm because it was planned for proportional and he believed that needed shorter tail moment. For some reason, he gave up and simply used the carrier fuse which was built earlier with long tail moment for reeds.