RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spektrum SR300 antenna mod?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Elnino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum SR300 antenna mod?

Wasn't Spektrum's first release a 2ch surface?? I thought their air models came in later? I wasn't in to Air back then but that's what i thought.

I know the whole spektrum in boats thing has been thrashed to death here but I'll continue my research and i'm hoping to come up with somewhat of a reasonable solution.

I agree that for some reason Spektrum air radios seem to work ok on water compared to surface items. I thought this might be because of DSM2 but the DX3R is DSM2 and still seems to suffer the same fate. Stronger signal? More ECC? Not sure.

I read somewhere that because FASST changes channel, it doesn't see the reflections but that still does not make sense because it 'only' changes every 2ms. RF travels at the speed of light so in 2ms it would cover ~6000km So unless you are getting the reflections from over 6000km away, that is not the case. What i DO believe is that the RX has much better error checking and filtering of the signal so that it can see through these supposed reflections. Based on that, one would possibly think that Spektrum could release an RX specifically designed for water use that has more signal filtering and verification. Then they could make it a special water proof model too! Maybe even just a software update to existing RX's! I really think Spektrum have let us boaters down. There has been plenty of time for them to come up with a solution that is consistant and reliable meaning that they are losing mass business to a rival company.

I have a DX7 for my Heli's and planes and i love it to bits. Never a glitch, never a range issue - nothing! Same with the DX3s on land, range beyond my vision and rock solid, I just hope that i can continue this on water too.

Oh and FWIW, I am a Network engineer (Read: Computer Geek). I run several long range 2.4ghz wireless network links over 5+km and not one of them is affected in any shape or form by fog/rain/hail etc. NO degradation in signal strength whatsoever regardless of the water in the air.