RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ed Kazmirski's Taurus
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 03:24 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

ORIGINAL: UStik

Duane, just flew the virtual T2. Maybe the c/g 0.25" more forward to 8.25" feels a bit more solid (it's more stable, 8.5% static margin). Just in case you don't like neutral setup. (But even 3" more forward works, it's the safe side.)

The plane seems to do some tail wagging as it comes out of a stall turn, not much but not nice either. So I tried the tail modifications (the end plates), set 2/3 more vertical tail area and 1/4 less horizontal. It seems to cure this problem, looks smoother.

As to the carrier wing (I have to try), are you sure it has a semi-symmetrical airfoil? Seems 22% thickness correct? Would be 2.75".
This is great, (assuming you can take all these measurements, stick them in a simulator, and it accurately represents the real thing). I'm still a little skeptical that it is exactly like the real plane. I will print out your drawing and test all the measurements heute abend. Do you feel the T-2, (as closely as you can simulate it), flys better of worse compared to the Japanese, (short tail moment) Taurus-2)? Or could it be the PILOT's fault??

I just got back from an SPA judges clinic, designed so we will all judge the maneuvers the same way. The clinic also points out places for improvement when we fly the maneuvers. I had heard a lot of debate in the past about whether a "tail wag" was or wasn't a bad thing. Some people, (like me), don't mind the "wag" if it happens because it indicates without a doubt that the plane was in a truly stalled condition. The wag is not something I am TRYING to achieve, but I like to see the stall either way. The instructor made a point of saying there should be no downgrade if the tail wags some, (at least you know there was no "wingover"). If Jim Kimbro is viewing this message, I'd appreciate his imput on the subject.

The thick wing has a SYMMETRICAL AIRFOIL, but very thick and very blunt, (ie round leading edge). The T-2 (Bosch) airfoil, as you pointed out has its greatest thickness at 37%, so it has a "sharper" leading edge. I'll measure it as well.

Duane