RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESC/Motor interference with 401 Gyro
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ESC/Motor interference with 401 Gyro

Joel,

I'm not a rate gyro expert but do have quite a bit of user experience with them in full scale planes and in two models. First off, what you are seeing is the gyro getting some unwanted outside signal and amplifying it. The outside signal can be either structural vibration or electrical noise. Either one can drive the gyro crazy.

As freeair suggested, a good starting point would be to remove the unit from the plane and hold it in your hand. If your problem was structural vibration, the fluttering should stop as soon as you mechanically isolate the gyro from the plane. If it is electrical interference, you will probably find that the fluttering will increase as you move the gyro close to the offending motor component.

Since you mentioned that the rudder flutters even when the motor chirps, I'm inclined to think that your interference is electrical rather than structural. Also, you mentioned that your previous experience with the Futaba 401 was in nitro models. Perhaps that particular gyro is unduly sensitive to electrical noise. I've used a Hobby Lobby Icarus micro gyro in an electric model with no difficulty, and of course gyros are used almost universally installed in electric helicopters. Is the 401 advertised as being usable in electric helicopters ?

Please let us know what you learn. We'll all be wiser from you experience.

Dick