RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vertical climbing tank/rover
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2003, 04:04 PM
Ralph E Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vertical climbing tank/rover

Tom:
First of all, climbing smaller trees (1'-2' in diameter) is indeed the more efficient means of getting to a nice "tie-in" point. BUT when trees get considerably larger, just getting to your intended destination can certainly get a person fatigued, as well as waste unnecessary time. As far as how the tank is supposed to climb vertically, please excuse me for not elaborating. The engine would be mounted on top of the tank/rover and would incorporate a pusher prop, thereby pressing the vehicle onto whatever surface and at whatever angle it may encounter. Technically, with enough thrust it should be able to climb walls and ceilings. The determining factors are of course thrust vs. weight vs. traction when climbing vertically. When inverted, I'm not sure how much traction would be a factor. If you can give me a ballpark on how much thrust the little .049 coupled with the 5" x 3.5 pitch tri-prop might produce (if in fact it will turn it at all) I would appreciate it. Something tells me I'll probaby have to go with a much larger/expensive engine, but I hope not (wishful thinking, eh?). Thanks for your reply, Tom. Any future advice, positive or negative, would be most appreciated. Basic rationale tells me this concept should by all rights work, unless there's some type of physics I'm overlooking.
Cordially, Ralph Ivey